Munch Squad is a segment created and perpetrated by Justin McElroy. Every Munch Squad features a press release from a major fast food company, typically discussing their new products. Justin reads the press release out loud and the brothers provide analysis and commentary. The humor in the segment is largely derived from the bizarreness of the products, the choice of words used to describe the products, and the sometimes unorthodox promotional tactics used to promote them. Restaurants discussed include: Papa Johns, Denny's, Wendy's, McDonald's and every other fast food place that ends with 's.
Episodes with Munch Squad include:
- Episode 304: Chicken Soup for Boys
- Episode 305: Bubble Jug Life
- Episode 306: Face 2 Face: Foggy Bottoms
- Episode 309: Here Comes Ray Donovan
- Episode 312: Face 2 Face: Live from Drowzee City
- Episode 321: Which One Vapes?
- Episode 322: "Margaret, It Happened Again!"
- Episode 324: A Heroic and Well-Reviewed Lizard
- Episode 326: Open-Source Burger King
- Episode 328: The Anxiety-Free Cruise
- Episode 336: Twenty-Something-Teen
- Episode 340: Doritos-Blasted Crow
- Episode 345: Face 2 Face: Candlenights in September
- Episode 349: Face 2 Face: Remembering How to Do Live Shows in Portland
- Episode 354: Beanfreak
- Episode 356: Face 2 Face: My Donut-Loving Boys
- Episode 357: A Wonderful Hug From Goro
- Episode 358: Detective Jigsaw, My Very Best Friend
- Episode 363: Breathing in Space
- Episode 364: Face 2 Face: Dumbledore's Magic Buffalo Wings
- Episode 374: Respect the Journey
- Episode 375: Massage Drone Switcheroo
- Episode 376: Face 2 Face: Shrimp, Heaven, Live!
- Episode 384: Face 2 Face: TORONTO! LISTEN!
- Episode 385: Horses in the Drift
- Episode 386: Candlenights 2017
- Episode 394: Face 2 Face: I Fritos Hard
- Episode 396: Independence Jumanji 3
- Episode 401: Max Cooljazz
"Theme" song Edit
The Munch Squad segment often starts with Justin making sounds that can be compared to: a radio adjusting itself, crackling fire, the running of tiny angry feet, or the approaching of thunder. Justin then announces, with the booming voice of the gods,
"I WANNA MUNCH!"to which Griffin and Travis, incredibly unenthusiastically reply,
"Squad."Justin then sings a guitar riff that is almost, but not exactly, the one in Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock", presumably the inspiration for the theme song.
Then follows the Munch Squad segment, which always happens to start just when I've left the house and I'm on the train and haven't had any lunch and I'm trying to eat healthy and now I want a god damn cheeseburger, thanks Justin.
The "food" featured on Munch squad in chronological order.
- Ep 304. "The Naked Crispy Chicken Taco", from Taco Bell
- Ep 305. "The Bacon Mozzarella Burger", from Wendy's
- Ep 306 (liveshow). The Breadstick Sandwiches and Deep Dish Spaghetti Pie", from Olive Garden
- Ep 309. "Flamin' Hot Mac 'N Cheetos", from Burger King
- Ep 312. "The Burger Pizza", from Domino's
- Ep 321. "Salads", from Domino's
- Ep 322. "The Grilled Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza", from Pizza Hut
- Ep 324. "The Brunchfast Menu", from Jack In The Box
- Ep 326. "Taco Salad", from Wendy's
- Ep 328. "Budweiser Beer Cheese Bacon Burgers", from Carl's Jr.
- Ep 336. "The Spicy Sriracha Chicken Sandwich", from Wendy's
- Ep 340. "The Naked Chicken Chalupa", from Taco Bell
- Ep 345 (liveshow). "Doritos' Boldest Choice Campaign", from Doritos
- Ep 349 (liveshow). "Jenny's Chicken Parmi Pie", from Jester's
- Ep 351. "Nacho Fries", from Taco Bell
- Ep 354. "Naked Chicken Chips", Taco Bell
- Ep 356 (liveshow). "Artisanal Sandwiches", from McDonald
- Ep 357. "The Baby Back Rib Burger", from Carl's Jr.
- Ep 358. "The Smokehouse Pork Belly Sandwich", from Arby's
- Ep 363. "The 150th Canadian Anniversary Menu Items", from Tim Hortons
- Ep 364 (liveshow). "The Topped And Loaded Menu", from Applebee's
- Ep 374. "Buttermilk Crispy Tenders and Art Posters", from McDonald's
- Ep 375. "Chorizo Burger with Creamy Chili Sauce", from Whataburger's
- Ep 376. "Naked Egg Taco", from Taco Bell
- Ep 385. "Deck The Halls Christmas Spectacle", from Sweetfrog's
- Ep 392. "Wake Up To Bagels", from Einstein Bros.
- Ep 394 (liveshow). "A Fashion Thing", from Taco Bell & Forever21 (By Griffin)
- Ep 394 (liveshow). "Free Whopper Sandwich Burger For Fired", from Burger King
- Ep 396. "Heart-shaped Bo-Berry Biscuits and more valentine ideas", from Bojangles
- Ep. 401. "The Zensation Zalad," from Zaxby's
- Ep. 406. "Summer Blizzard Treat Menu", from Dairy Queen System
Justin has been criticized for luring his two brothers into a false sense of security by asking a decoy question, then interrupting his brothers' answers to introduce the segment.
In Episode 375, Justin was accused of using the abrupt and unexpected nature of the segment to avoid answering a question posed to him. He confirmed this, replacing the usual lyrics to the theme song with "I wanna deflect!"
Similarly, in Episode 396 he starts with "It's a coping mechanism!"